Order your very own spiral-bound Hymnprovisation book!
For less than the price of two piano lessons, you will get the equivalent of 80 piano improvisation lessons in a spiral-bound handbook chock full of illustrations!
Order yours today for only $49.99 (includes shipping and tax)
This book will make you a better pianist by helping you harness your own creativity and imagination to effectively improvise and accompany hymns and gospel songs so that you can quickly become a more confident and proficient pianist!
Hymprovisation will challenge you with fresh ideas and new ways of approaching time-tested techniques. This is not a step-by-step manual, but an innovative approach which will help you develop and create your own library of techniques which you can pull from.
Learn how you can effectively play the words by using the techniques in this book to make your accompaniment dynamic!
Learn how to handle emergencies like a pro!
Master the ability to easily transpose any song!
Discover who your audience is, as well as many other valuable insights the author has learned the hard way over 20 years of accompanying soloists, congregations, choirs and ensembles.
Learn how to develop your ear.
Uncover the secrets of chords and much, much more!
Written in plain English and geared toward all levels of pianists with something for everyone, from elementary, to intermediate and advanced. Includes more than 200 pages with over 150 examples for your convenience.
What others are saying about Hymnprovisation:
“Written by a “practitioner” for the people of the pew.” –Faye Lopez (SC)
“Excellent resource! I feel like there is something in this handbook that every pianist at every level could learn from.” –Annie Danae, (CA)
“…an invaluable resource.” –Becca Lee Shove (ID)
- Play the Words
- Use Octaves
- Runs (right and left hand, chromatic, diatonic, and patterns)
- Chords and their inversions
- Chord substitutions
- Chord uses
- Playing by ear
- Melodic left-hand intervals (tenths, fifths, sixths, sevenths)
- Left hand stride (Down beats and after beats)
- Arpeggios (ascending, descending, left, right, and crossover)
- Patterns and forms (break up chords in different ways [root, fifth, tenth, etc])
- Simple or complex improvisations
- Trills, mordents, glissando, octave rolls
- Key changes
- Segues, Bridges, Transitions, Interludes, Cadences.
- Styles-Classical, Baroque, Romantic, Classic, Black Gospel, Southern Gospel, “Romantic Gospel”, Praise and Worship and CCM.
- Timing nuances within (and without) the posted signature
- And much more!
In over 20 years of accompanying congregations, soloists choirs and ensembles at churches, camps, and other events all over the U.S. and in Central America, this book is a partial representation of the many things I have had to learn the hard way. Now you won’t have to make the same mistakes I did! Hymnprovisation is geared toward all levels of pianists, with elementary, intermediate and some advanced techniques as well. 200+ pages with more than 150 examples.
Now shipping! Order for only $49.99!
For first edition errata/corrections click here